This post may contain affiliate links.
Want to learn to crochet? Focus on learning these 5 stitches to form a solid crochet basis.
1. Chain Stitch (abbreviated ch) – This stitch starts most projects, is used for getting the yarn to the right height for a row, and is essential for lace.
2. Single Crochet (abbreviated sc) – A great basic stitch, also forms the basis of tapestry crochet.
3. Half Double Crochet (abbreviated hdc)
4. Double Crochet (abbreviated dc) – This stitch is critical for granny squares and used to form shells.
5. Slip Stitch (abbreviated sl st) – Used to join rounds of crochet. In garments, can be used to move the yarn to a point further in without having to cut the yarn.
This list uses American crochet terminology. British terminology differs.